The Birdies - Sheela Goh from Eclettica, The Atelier

Today, I'd like to introduce you to Sheela Goh from Eclettica, The Atelier in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. She is known with her signature piece - the Birdies. Currently, she is the only designer who creates wire-wrapped birdies. Unlike many other wire-wrapping designers, her Birdies are totally made from wire-wrapping, there is no soldering involved at all. The birdies is an integral part of her designs.


Impressive with her work? Here is the interview with Sheela:

Sheela, tell us about yourself
I'm a full time artisan jewellery designer. Creating is my profession. I live and breathe (and often dream) wires, pliers and gems. I've been told I also talk to my tools and gems, and sometimes in my sleep. Although physically in Kuching, Sarawak at this moment, I actually live in Houston.

How did you start doing jewelry (or beadmaking) as a business?
Honestly? On a dare. A very close friend of mine dared me to try in November 2007 and I did, and the end result was so yucky I dug a hole in the backyard and buried it. I'd like to think I've improved a wee bit since then :)

Every artist has a personal "creative process", can you explain yours?
It's a convoluted process. Sometimes it happens with a bit of poetry or tune that gets stuck in my mind. Other times, it begins with a sketch, very often in the middle of the night, I kid you not. Most times, it's a matter of trying to get my hands to keep up with that constantly-working creative side of my brain. I have so many trains of thoughts hurtling through my brain all at the one same time that I live in hope of some labratory sending me mutant octopus DNA so I can sprout extra arms and hands, and do more in a day.

When people start doing jewelry, they tend to try a lot of different things before settling down to something that resonates with them, tell us how has your jewelry work changed since you began?
I did (and still do on my Prêt-à-Porter Boutique) the quirky and playful gamut at first. I very much enjoy churning out the unexpected, and experimenting with mixed mediums such as Lucite, Brass, Copper and vintage bits was a lovely way to express that. And this same sentiment is still very evident in the more intricate Atelier pieces that I currently do. I believe in having fun with one's accessories. Living life to the fullest should also extend to one's wardrobe, yes? Despite being couture jewellery, my Atelier designs are still much about being happy. Being unpredictable. Heaven forbid that Eclettica should ever start becoming predictable. Shudder.

What would you like to work with/or what skill would you like to learn that you haven't yet?
I would very much like to one day learn metalsmithing, to make my own rings and things. Especially handcuffs for when my daughter grows up and the boys start coming over. Maybe some other sort of restraining accessories for my stepsons too. That's food for thought.

How many hours a week do you spend in the creative side of your business vs… the business side?
Again I wish for mutant octopus DNA. I would optimistically claim 50% of my time being invested in each aspect but I would be lying. Realistically, it'd be about 110% on creating and 10% on business development, PR and marketing. That's really a bad ratio, huh? I need to level that out a bit.

What inspires you creatively?
Everything. And nothing. I'm blessed to be the sort of person who's never before faced a creative block. Have I just jinxed myself?

Where do you sell at primarily-website, brick & mortar stores, shows, etc. Based on your experience, where is the best place to sell jewelries?
Online and at selected partner galleries. I've found the Web to be the most conducive for young brands, i.e., virtually zero in terms of barrier to entry, overheads are exceedingly low and there are some excellent marketplaces which are themselves already established thus guaranteeing a certain level of traffic. That said, the Web is also saturated which means one needs to work extremely hard to differentiate one's brand (another reason why I need to invest more time into the business side of things). Yet one more big issue with the Web is the bountiful presence of copycats. Bane of my existence, and very likely the bane of many other genuinely hardworking designers out there. I avoid most craft fairs because I've personally found them to be a lot of hard work for minimal returns. Most people go to fairs looking for deals and Eclettica jewellery isn't priced to be a deal. Maybe I just haven't found the right craft fair yet :) in any event, since Eclettica is me, myself and I alone, I need to be very focused as to where my pieces are retailed, particularly when each design can take up to 2 full days of work.

Can you tell us about some important goals you have achieved with your jewelry work?
I've been able to spend time with Eve, much more so than when I was a journalist. Yes I still work 14-16 hours a day but I can take time off during the day when I feel like it and go watch a movie with Eve, or we can go to the pool, or just get our hair done. That, to me, is THE most important goal I've been able to achieve and it's just so fulfilling. I am also very happy to no longer have to take orders from anyone save myself. I'm never been very good with that, I confess. Of course, the flipside of things is if I do take the day off and play truant, I'm going to have work doubly hard the next day to make up for things, you know. But being able to decide that by myself, is just an indescribable feeling.
What advice would you give to someone who is interested doing jewelry as a business?
I'm sure you've all heard this before but it's true - be unique. Create something different, differently you. Be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day and despite what you hear about so and so being discovered and becoming a millionaire in 2 months, real life doesn't work that way. Be patient and work really hard, work really smart to carve your own design identity and promote, promote, promote. Another very important thing to remember - don't overstock on the gems. It's a natural addiction for all jewellery designers. We hoard more than we use which makes for lovely personal drooling but does nothing in helping to pay bills :) so buy what you need, don't buy more until you've used up what you have on hand. That's an adage I'm still trying to come to terms with.

Do you have any big/exciting news or different directions for your business this year?
Heaps! But I'd like to keep it under wraps for now, so that's it's still a surprise when I announce it :) if everything works out, Eclettica will be branching out by October 2008.

If you teach, where will you be teaching this year?
I've been asked to teach before but I've turned them down because I homeschool my daughter and that alone takes up all of my teaching patience. I don't think I have anything left. I doubt students will appreciate a teacher who's cranky and impatient LOL

Who are some of your favorite artists and crafters?
My answer would be everyone with a unique design style. That alone is a trait to admire and respect.

Sheela, thanks so much for sharing your experience today. I've really enjoyed learning about the inspirations behind your designs.

For those who keen to know more about Sheela, please visit:
Atelier www.rubylane.com/shops/eclettica, http://www.eclettica.etsy.com/
Prêt-à-Porter http://www.heralterego.etsy.com/
Blog http://www.ecletticaonline.blogspot.com/
Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/eclettica