Petite Lookbook: Rosebud Peplum Dress

A few weeks ago I tried on a floral dress at F21 (#5 in this post) and fell in love with the vintage-y rose print. The fit was good, but I thought it was a little overpriced ($20) for a tee shirt dress from F21. Thankfully, a few hours later, I found a similar dress in a darling peplum cut. Peplum (definition): short overskirt usually attached to a fitted jacket or dress.

These photos do not do this dress justice because the flounce skirt got crumpled up in my suitcase. I ironed it out later with my hair straightener but was too lazy to re-take pics.
Dress: Pretty Good sz XS
Belt: F21 sz S
Cardigan: Martin & Osa sz XS (similar here in XXS)

This dress was a random find at one of my least favorite places...TJ Maxx. The discount environment at those stores make me purchase items that I don't even like or need. I worked at Marshalls as a teen, and used to hoard any and ALL clearance clothing & shoes that came remotely close to fitting me. Anyone else guilty of that?

Needless to say all of that stuff has been donated by now, and as a result I am "traumatized" by places like TJMaxx/Marshies. This dress was a lucky find in the juniors department (the petites section is twinset-laden and horrid), and was priced exactly the same as the F21 dress I had passed up earlier.

This is also my first sweater from M&O. I had always seen them on the likes of ChloeConpiracy and Stylepint, but never came across an actual store until last week. I LOVE this longer cardigan! I have been wearing it so much - buttoned up over leggings, or open with my spring dresses. I like the fit of the XS, but later realized that XXS is available online in this summer weight long cardigan (on sale).



  
Sandals: I.N.C. low wedge sandals (similar here in Cognac - love, love, love)

Now for the alterations...(note how much better the flounce skirt looks when not crinkly)

This dress in a juniors XS basically fit due to the elasticised waist, however there were a few issues. The neckline was too plunging, the armholes were too big, and the sides were too wide.
I had not visited my tailors for months, and didn't want to break the streak for a $20 dress from TJ Maxx. Oh how I wish I have my beloved sewing machine & serger in Boston! But for the time and space being, rough hand-stitching will have to get the job done. I whipped out my needle and thread and stitched in the following:
Ta-da. DIY alterations to address common problems faced by petites.

I love the peplum silhouette because it gives off the illusion that I have hips. Shop dresses in similar silhouettes (click to go to):
Under $50:

Over $50: