Weekend Project...


Bloomers!

With the weather getting better, who wouldn't want to sit on the back patio in the evenings sipping tea and reading a book in a pair of cool, cotton bloomers! I have designed my own and will be transferring the drawing into a pattern this evening to begin sewing tomorrow. The one's I have designed are quite similar to these, but the yolk goes down a little lower. They will also sit lower on my hips and will button up both sides instead of having a drawstring waist. I wanted the yoke to be a little more fitted. I will probably drawstring the knees and can't wait to match up some old laces for the bottoms of the pant legs. Oh, and they will not be traditional split leg, meaning that the crotch is unseamed. Sheesh...I gotta walk around in front of my kids with these on. I could seriously burn their brain should a rogue wind come along! I could cheat out and find a pattern, but all the patterns I found were not very traditional and looked like you would find them on Raggedy Ann!

I have been sewing clothes since my first attempt at 10 years old. Mom had these fabulous fiberglass curtains in the attic, which by the way, was across from my bedroom - talk about being creeped out all the time! I took those curtains, designed and sewed a ball gown. Since it was sewn by hand with my 10 year old seams, they weren't all that great, but it served the purpose. You know, I never did get in trouble for doing that, however, I think my mother thought I learned my lesson the first time I wore it. Duh, fiberglass! Man, did I itch for hours after wearing it the first time! I learned after that to wear something under it!

For now, I have to hit the gardens, at least until it starts to rain. Maybe I will end up transferring the drawing to pattern sooner than I thought :) I will keep you posted on my progress!