Interview with Mel Hince

Each piece of jewelry that an artist made expresses her/his own self. A part of him/her that was put into an art makes every piece a priceless one. Our featured artist is more on a true romantic at heart which briefly explains each piece she had made, simple yet a classic one.



Gorgeous for its features is this Pure Heart Locket. The necklace is furnished with an antiqued, heart-shaped locket, a small brass key and an ivory glass pearl, suspended in an antiqued gold chain and small parrot clasp. Absolutely, a piece inspired with love.


Perfect for a glacial winter is this inimitable and fabulous Birds and Bows Scarf pin, to securely wrap yourself up in a warm scarf. Just pin a wrapped skirt, a knitted cardi, or just wear as a cute brooch , this pin may look awesome to anyone due to its antiqued brass charms and ivory glass pearls and glass topaz beads features.


A piece that unlocks simplicity and uniqueness is this Peace and Beauty necklace. Made up of cameo of a white peace dove on a navy blue background, set in antiqued brass with a pure white flower sits above. Hang perfectly in antiqued brass figaro chain and is enclosed with a parrot clasp.


Best for bride to match their white bridal gown is this Pure Heart earring. Vintage style ivory pearl with antiqued brass findings. A rare piece of beauty to suit a once in life time occasion.

Now, let's turn our attention to our featured artist for an interview.

Jane: Tell us about yourself, your location, your job and your goals:

Mel Hince:I'm currently a full time postgraduate student living in Australia and in the last flurries of writing my PhD thesis. Life is a tad crazy and probably always has been, so I don't see it slowing down any time soon. But, I love every bit.

Jane: How did you start doing jewelry (or beadmaking) as a business?

Mel Hince: I was just recently married and my interest in making jewelry began when researching bridesmaid jewelry. As with pretty much everything handmade, I thought...I could do that! I used to make jewelry back in high school, but it kind of got pushed into the back of the cupboard until a year ago. Now, I'm loving every new piece I make and I have to stop myself from just adding it to my own collection! I have always been a crafter and have mutlple projects on the go, for example, I recently DiYd most of my own wedding (see my blog). For me, jewelry is my daily release. I can shut my brain off, even for half an hour, and just let my imagination flow.

Jane: Every artist has a personal "creative process", can you explain yours?
Mel Hince:I'm a true romantic, at heart and I am inspired by old movies, especially the soppy ones that I seem to watch over and over again. I seem to get inspiration at the strangest times and have to scribble it on the closest scrap of paper until I can have a play with my supplies when I get home. I tend to make things in a particular style because that's what I would wear. Simple and classic.

Jane: When people start doing jewelry, they tend to try a lot of different things before settling down to something that resonates with them, tell us how has your jewelry work changed since you began?

Mel Hince:I am always trying new techniques, designs and materials and I tend to settle on an overall style for a few months and then move to something else. I'm already planning a new line for my store including more ribbons and layers.

Jane: Can you share with us a some jewelry making or design tips?

Mel Hince: If there's anything I could tell someone just beginning in jewelry design, I would say "Keep it simple". You can always add more detail and expand the design. A simple piece can be the most effective.

Jane: If you teach, where will you be teaching this year?

Mel Hince:As Jewelry is more of a hobby for me, I won't be teaching any time soon, but I'm always keen to help friends who are starting out.

To view more of Mel Hince jewelry designs check out her sites:

Website: http://www.paperandribbons.com/

Blog:
http://unofficialfiction.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Mel for the interview.. I hope all the best to your jewelry business and your PhD thesis!



Download lots of free jewelry making tutorials at DiyLessons! Are you a jewelry (jewellery) making teacher/ tutor? You can also list your tutorials here too.Don't miss a post! Subscribe to Handmade Jewelry Club by Email FREEFind the website useful? You can easily link us using the codes below by just copy and paste them into your blog or website. You can also include the codes in your email and recommend it to your friends!Photobucket

Bookmark and Share