Review: Rachel by Rachel Roy sz XXS Skirts

A few weeks ago, I ordered two Rachel Rachel Roy skirts during the friends & family sale online. I had been eying this brand for a while, wondering whether it was petite-friendly. I ended up picking out two items that I hoped to incorporate into my summer work wardrobe. I envisioned wearing both skirts with a black blazer and black pumps on "casual Fridays."

First up, Elastic Gathered Skirt sz XXS, $89:
Wearing: Cheapie Mossimo nude pumps in 5.5 (sold here)

Pros (+): elastic waist fit me snugly, length was good
Cons (-): skirt was much too poofy and not tapered at all, print looked gaudy in person, scratchy material w/ no lining
Verdict: Return.

I wish the pictures captured how voluminous the skirt was. The bf shook his head the second I slipped it on. Although the waistband was very tiny, the hips and bottom opening were just too big for someone my size. Also, for $90 (I got it for 30% off) I was not impressed by the workmanship. A reader (Pansy) had warned me about this line "not being the best quality!" I would say my H&M Trend skirts are better crafted for $35 to $40 a piece.

Second item, knit striped skirt sz XXS, (on clearance for $25):
I was silly for thinking this skirt might be work-appropriate...I felt so hoochie in it! The style looks like it could be a bandage skirt, but rather the material was too flimsy to have a "control-top" effect like true bandage material should. It felt like I had a sweater skirt on, and every panty line / butt cheek roll showed through.

Pros (+): Really fitted (a con for conservative ladies), good for going out
Cons (-): Flimsy material, practically no crafstmanship, showed lines.
Verdict: Return.

I guess I am cheap...the skirt was just $25 and I still could not convince myself to keep it. I have enough clothes for going out from H&M/F21. Ended up paying $5 to ship everything back.

Consensus: A disappointing haul overall because I expected better quality and attention to detail for the price. The fit of an XXS, however, can be petite-friendly if you choose items on which length doesn't matter - like skirts. Be on the lookout for stretchy materials or elastic waists. I've seen RR blazers look great on other bloggers, but a reader (Pink Pamplemouse) mentioned that their tops run larger than their bottoms, so I will not be ordering any more items to try. 

Readers - any Rachel Rachel Roy fans out there? Share your thoughts!